The annual competition is intended to improve the standard of our allotments.
Each Plot at Charlestown and Thompson Lane will be inspected twice during the growing season and will be judged by a member of the Society who does not hold a plot on either site. There will be a 1st prize for both sites of £50, sponsored by our Landlords (Baildon Town Council), 2nd & 3rd prize is sponsored by Baildon Horticultural Society; both receiving a £10 and £5 voucher to spend in one of our huts.
In addition the Allotment Officers at Charlestown & Thompson Lane will select the Best Newcomer for a new tenant in their first year of cultivation. All those tenants taking on their plot after 1 August 2020 are eligible for this competition. The winner of the best newcomer will receive a trophy and a next years rent free.
Each round of judging will be marked against the following criteria.
· Variety of vegetables, fruit, herbs and flowers.
· Plot Cleanliness.
· Absence of weeds & litter.
· Maximising use of space.
· Evidence of composting.
· Evidence of water conservation.
· Encouragement of wildlife, e.g. bee/butterfly plant allures, ponds, insect and bird nesting.
· Something different to demonstrate individuality and imaginative layout.
Please ensure that your plot number is visible or you will not be entered into the competition.